Applying for approval to pay your spouse

If you are self-employed individual employing your spouse or partner in your business, you must get IR approval to pay them wages. If you don’t have the approval, a deduction for the wages can’t be claimed in the business accounts.

There are certain information need to supply to IR such as personal and payment details, and details of any other workers employed. If you have already paid your spouse, additional information for retrospective deductions.

You need to make another application if you increase the wages as a result of an increase in the duties performed by your spouse, or an increase in pay that isn’t a general wage increase.

Please call your tax advisor or chartered accountant if you need advice on this matter. However, if we can assist you, we are here to help. Call us now on +64 (09) 522 2288.